First #1
When James and I were first married my work gave me a turkey for Thanksgiving. We had the smallest freezer so the turkey didn't fit in. So I was feeling pretty domestic newly married and all, so I figured we would cook the turkey even though we weren't going to be home for Thanksgiving. I called my mom and asked her how to do it, horrified that I had to stick my hand inside a turkey I set out to do it. As I took the wrapping off the turkey I lost it and ran out of the apartment. Thinking something was wrong he came to check on me he found me sitting on the steps crying that I couldn't do it, I could not handle raw poultry in the carcass form. Thankfully I have a husband who is not afraid of the kitchen, so he cooked the turkey...And every turkey since then till now.....
Today I cooked my first Turkey!!!!!!! My mom was down in San Diego with my brother and his family, and James had to go to a Seminary Inservice, we were feeding the Missionaries at 5 so I had to do it myself. As I was getting ready Josh came in and asked me what I was doing. He stood there and watched me the whole time, so I had to "man up" and do it without freeking out. He talked to me the whole time and asked me exactly what I was doing every step along the way, in the end he told me he thought the turkey was ugly and he was not going to eat it. What can I say, it's now my favorit site either. I can't believe it, but I did it, I cooked and cleaned a turkey all by myself!!!
It turned out well, I cooked it in a bag and that saved me because when I stuck the thermometer in it was at 190 degrees, (I think you're supposed to take it out at 160). I was so nervous it was going to be so dry but I think the bag saved it. It was really good, the kids loved it, I don't think Josh ate any though.
First #2
I have a friend that started letterboxing a few years ago, and I thought it sounded like alot of fun, but I just never started. I didn't think the kids could be discreet enough to do it so we just didn't, but she encouraged me to do it the other day, saying it was just in fun and I thought we should do it. The whole premise behind letterboxing is that people hide a stamp out in nature then post clues when you find it, you put your stamp in the log book and stamp their stamp in your log book. You have to be discreet so it doesn't get found by someone who could throw it away. For more info you can see all about it at http://www.letterboxing.org/ so there was one by the scout camp and we set out to get it, it was our first, so we didn't really know what to do, but we found it!!! After we were all done logging it, we put it back and as we were walking back to our car we hear someone over the loud speaker telling us to get out of there. On our way back we ran into the care taker of the camp and she gave it to us. We tried to blow it off by pretending to reminise our time at scout camp. And that we were going into the scout shop, I think that smoothed things over with her, but she was not a happy camper at first. I don't know if I would call it a success or not, but the kids had fun I think. Sadly I forgot my camera for the first letterbox. I can't believe I didn't bring it I will have to remember it next time...
1 comment:
Wow! You have been busy. Awesome job on the turkey. I haven't made one myself. Ben enjoys doing that part. So, I step back and let him have his time in the kitchen. Lots of cute/handsome pictures. It took me a minute to figure out why all the boys had the same shirt. I love all the red! I know the boys would love that Tyler is wearing his Dbacks hat. My 2 older boys wear theirs everyday to school. It's like part of their outfit everyday. They would not be complete without it. If for some reason it gets moved when it has been taken off, a little stress takes place wondering where it has gone.
Post a Comment