Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Called to Serve Him

So the much anticipated Election day is finally here! In California we are trying preserve marriage as between a man and a woman. In others words "Vote Yes on Prop 8". Our church has joing a coalition with other churches to get this Prop passed. We have been doing phone calls, having rallies, hanging door hanger, etc.. So this morning when I took Abby to school there were some "No" on Prop 8 people standing on the corner of the school with their signs. I did not feel comfortable with them on the school property and complained to the Asst. Principal (something I usually don't do), but she said the sidewalk was public property. Taking this into consideration. I took my prop 8 sign and some handouts and stood on the corner next to her. As we were walking to school with the sign and my entourage as i like to call them my son was humming a song that the kids are singing at church on Sunday. As the words ran through my head I was thinking that this is exactly what we were doing.

The words of the song are:
Called to serve Him, Heavenly King of Glory
Chosen e'er to witness for his name,
Far and wide we tell the Father's story Far and wide his love proclaim.
Onward, ever onward, as we glory in his name;
Onward, ever onward, as we glory in his name,
Forward pressing forward as a triumph song we sing
God our strength will be, press forward ever,
Called to serve our King.

Ususally this song is sung in regards to missionaries leaving on missions. In this moment I thought of the apostles reminding us to stand up for what is right. I thought of the scriptures, where we are told to fear God and not man, I thought of, no matter how hard the adversary tries we must press forward with Faith keeping our Faith in Christ. We are serving Him when we stand up for what we believe in.

At this poing it is too early to turn on the news and hear results. I hope and pray that Prop 8 will pass. As I stood on the corner with my children, I noticed that some of my friends said Hi, but few wanted to stop and chat with me (as they usually do) with the opposition was right next to me. I don't know if it was because they were busy or didn't want to make it look like they were for Prop 8. But I did have people come and tell me that I was not alone, that they were glad that I was there "evening out the corner" if you will. Tyler passed out the pamplets and hummed Called to Serve the whole time. I think somewhere down there that he knows, that he is serving Christ in this action. In conclusion I think that above all if we strive to do what is right Heavenly Father will know what is in our hearts. And as long as we all just do our best we should be o.k.

If you haven't voted please Vote Yes on Prop 8 and preserve traditional marriage and families.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Way to stand strong. Our prop 102 which refers to the same as your prop 8 passed tonight. Although it passed it did not pass as strong as it should have. However, we'll take it and stand behind the YES on 102!!! I hope your outcome is positive!!!

Kell said...

I was so happy to hear it passed! My brother has been in charge of the call center for the church on this! It makes me feel very proud. You set such a good example for your kids!

thephoneisringing2010 said...

Way to go on standing up for what you believe in. After last night's news, I didn't know if I could take another huge let down. I was very pleased, elated, and joyful when I heard they had approved Proposition 8 this morning. At least it all isn't going downhill all at once. : )
Keep the faith sister!