Earlier this month Abby's school had a Book Fair, I was determined not to spend too much money at it. I had the kids take their recylcling money and buy their own books, so I only had to get Josh a book, but then he wanted two.
Then Abby's class was going so I went to help out, and Toby and Tyler wanted to go help too. So I had already told Abby I would get a book for her and one for her classroom. When all was said and done I bought one for her, one for her classroom, one for Toby, and one for Tyler. The librarian told me she needed help on Thurs, so when I went there I found a book for myself and a computer program for Toby. Needless to say, I did not stay within my budget.
So I was a little suprised to find out that not only a week and a half later CAVA (the boys charter school) was having an open house which also turned out to be a book fair at Barnes an Noble. So we went because the boys work was suposed to be shown there. So I took Tyler, Abby, Josh, and Jamie (Toby stayed home because he had gotten in trouble). When we got there they had a scavenger hunt for the kids to do. Tyler took it all very seriously, he really wanted to get all the answers right, so he took over an hour to answer the 7 questions. Abby and Josh had both picked out books that they could not live without even though I had not told them that I was buying them. Abby picked out two books actually and gave me a choice of which one I was going to buy for her. Josh had two books that he started screaming every time I tried to talk him out of one. So I thought I'd cut my losses and I took Tyler over to the classics and tried to get him to pick out either Jungle Book or Swiss Family Robinson. He decided that he wanted the Phantom of the Opera.
As it turns out only 2 kids got all the answers right. They were going to do a drawing from all the right answers, but since only 2 kids got all the answers right they both got a $10. gift card. So Tyler was one of the two and got the gift card. So we headed back to the classics where he promptly picked up Dracula and declared this is the one. I tried to get him to switch to Dr. Jeykle and Mr. Hyde, but he really wanted Dracula, so with those books in his hands we headed to the check out. When we got home everyone wanted to read their books, so I gave them 20 minutes. Whn he went to bed Tyler was 30 pages into The Phantom of the Opera. I put everyone to bed and at 5:30am I woke up to Tyler...He told me I needed to remind him to buy longer books next time since he had already finished the Phantom of the Opera!!! Turns out he woke up at 4:00am and finished the book by 5:30!!! Later that morning I realized I had accidentally bought the condensed version. Today he told me that he finished Dracula yesterday. So within 24 hours of getting the 2 books they were both done! We finally found some books that have enticed his interest. I think I will stick to the Library as my wallet cannot keep up with Tyler's ability to read.
1 comment:
Hey! I heard your having a boy! You should name him Alex, Drake, or Leo. I'm just giving Ideas here people! you don't have to follow them.
Post a Comment